Sunday, January 11, 2009

How Old Is Kelly?

Today is my birthday, and I am sitting in the office dumbfounded at the realization that I now have a son old enough to go to Camp Cherokee.  It seems like just yesterday, that little Kelly Howington nervously stepped onto the pavilion to check in for his first day of Camp at Camp Cherokee.  I can still taste Mrs. Sue’s chicken fingers, smell the “possum patties” and feel the warmth from the fire at the wood chapel while licking my fingers clean of the smore goo.  My faith journey really took off here at Camp Cherokee and I feel blessed each day that I am allowed to continue leading this ministry into what seems to be an ever more uncertain future. 

 

What I know is that once you have attended Camp Cherokee, even for a short while, you become family in the deepest sense of the word.  No matter how far you travel, how long you stay away, there is always a spiritual home here for you that invigorates the senses and quickly delivers you back to a simpler time in life when you could hear most clearly the voice of God in your life.  From the hugs, songs and silliness to the deep conversations about beliefs and the faith challenges brought on by an ever more materialistic and status oriented society, the changes that happen on these peaceful lake shores are truly fundamental a life altering. 

 

Regardless of how old I am, I am thankful for every day I have been blessed with the beauty that is Camp Cherokee and joyfully wonder about the future that is in store!  Our God is truly an AWESOME God!

 

How old am I today?  Old enough to look back and know without a doubt that through the challenges and questions, growth and changes God is indeed alive and at work in this world in new and miraculous ways!

 

Sincerely,

Kelly Howington

Director - Cherokee Retreat Center

 

877-647-8542 - Toll Free

678-848-5739 - Cell Phone

678-918-3387 - Fax

 

director@cherokeeretreatcenter.com - email

http://www.cherokeeretreatcenter.com- web

http://www.youtube.com/cherokeeretreat- Youtube

http://cherokeeretreatcenter.blogspot.com/- CRC Blog

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Literaly Kelly, how old are you?